Summer Golf Campaign 2011
A €2.2M/£1.8M golf promotional campaign is rolling out in key markets overseas to capitalise on the huge additional opportunity sparked by Rory McIlroy’s great win at Congressional. The new campaign builds on an already busy schedule of year-round golf promotions.
‘Home of Champions’
‘Home of Champions’, is the headline for the new ad campaigns in Britain and the US this summer. In the US, the ads will appear on TV (Golf Channel), online (GolfChannel.com and elsewhere) and will be seen over 200 times around coverage of the British Open and the Solheim Cup and popular American programmes like 'Big Break Ireland', 'Feherty Show', 'Morning Drive' and 'Golf Now Ireland'.
Click here to see the 'Home of Champions' TV Ad running in the US
• 365,000 Americans are also seeing island of Ireland golf ads and features in Golfweek, Golf World, the Irish Echo and the Irish Voice.
• A further 250,000 golf enthusiasts worldwide are hearing about the Irish Open in Killarney through media, travel trade and social media, with a competition to win a trip to see McIlroy, Clarke, Harrington and McDowell in action there.
• In GB, new ‘Home of Champions’ ads will run on radio (talkSPORT) and in key golf, business and financial publications.
• A co-operative campaign with bmi this summer allows British golfers to carry their clubs for free on flights from Heathrow to Dublin and George Best Belfast City Airports – this is being promoted through advertising and with leading GB golf tour operators. Tourism Ireland has also sent e-newsletters to its global database of golf fans with special offers and golf packages from the industry here.
• Influential golf and lifestyle media from around the world are being invited to come sample our world-class golf.
• • The magic footage of Rory’s victory at Congressional will be included in future golf TV programmes planned by Tourism Ireland in the US and elsewhere.
• Social media is also helping to spread the word with posts celebrating McIlroy’s success on Tourism Ireland’s US Facebook page (in excess of 128,000 fans) generating almost 600 ‘likes’ and lots of positive comments in the 24-hour period after his win.
Year-round Golf Promotions
The Solheim Cup at Killeen Castle this September features extensively in overseas media, travel trade and consumer promotions and we’re working closely with women’s golf associations in many key markets.
Across the world, industry partners are promoting with us at all the major golfing events:
Events include the BMW PGA Championship at Wentworth, Golf Live in London and the Ricoh British Women’s Open at Carnoustie and The Open at Royal St George’s. We’re also working closely with specialist golf tour operators such as golfbreaks.com and Your Golf Travel and with the English Women's Golf Association.
In the US, golf promotions included the Masters in Augusta,the PGA Merchandise Show in Orlando
(where last year’s US Open winner Graeme McDowell dropped by the stand), the Kraft Nabisco Championship in California, ShopRite LPGA Classic in New Jersey and the upcoming PGA Barclays tournament.
83 million US households are set to see the best of island of Ireland golf when the American TV series
'Big Break' airs on the Golf Channel in the autumn, thanks to our advertising partnership with Golf Channel, GolfChannel.com and NBC Sports. This very positive exposure will be valued at over $12 million in advertising terms.
We are partnering closely with the German PGA and promotional events include the Ladies German Open, advertising on top golf websites and co-operative marketing with key golf tour operators
In Sweden, where there are about 650,000 registered golfers, promotional events include the Nordea Masters. We are also working with the Swedish Ladies’ Golf Association, the Swedish PGA and with accredited Swedish golf tour operators to bring golfers here for the Solheim Cup and to experience the island’s great golf.