Tourism Ireland warmly welcomes today’s announcement by Ryanair of eight new flights to Shannon Airport from April 2014, which will include year-round services to Shannon from Berlin, Munich, Paris and Nice. These new services will certainly help boost tourism business from the all-important German and French markets to Shannon and the West of Ireland next year.
Niall Gibbons, chief executive of Tourism Ireland, said: “Today’s announcement is wonderful news for tourism to the West of Ireland. We already work very closely with Ryanair and we look forward to co-operating with them to maximise the promotion of these new flights from Germany and France to Shannon. As an island, the importance of convenient, direct, non-stop flights cannot be overstated – they are absolutely critical to achieving growth in inbound tourism. Tourism Ireland is committed to working with Ryanair, Shannon Airport and other tourism interests, through co-operative marketing, to drive demand for these flights to Shannon – as we work with other carriers and partners to promote and help maintain vital routes and services to the island.”
Niall Gibbons continued: “Tourism from Mainland Europe is performing well this year – almost +5% for the January-August period, with good increases in visitor numbers in particular from markets like Germany, the Nordic countries and Benelux. And the outlook for 2014 is also positive – particularly in light of these new Ryanair flights, just in time for the summer season, which will help keep the growth momentum going.”
Sinéad Grace, Tourism Ireland
Tel: 087-685 9027
Notes to Editors:
• Tourism Ireland is the organisation responsible for promoting the island of Ireland overseas as a leading holiday destination.
• Tourism is the island of Ireland’s largest indigenous industry; responsible for in excess of 4% of GNP in the Republic of Ireland and employing approximately 200,000 people.
• In 2012, 7.4 million overseas visitors came to the island of Ireland, delivering revenue of approximately €3.51 billion. Overseas tourism business accounts for 59% of all tourism revenue.
• Tourism Ireland’s international website is www.ireland.com, currently rolling out in 11 different language versions for over 30 individual markets around the world.
• ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ is Ireland’s biggest ever tourism initiative, consisting of a year-long programme of festivals, events and gatherings in every part of the country; Tourism Ireland has undertaken an extensive programme of promotions to highlight The Gathering Ireland 2013 around the world, working closely with the Gathering project team.