Commenting on the CSO figures issued today for overseas visitors to Ireland for the three-month period July to September 2013, Niall Gibbons, CEO of Tourism Ireland, said:“Today’s figures from the CSO for the high season months of July to September are very strong, showing growth from almost all of our markets around the world. We are seeing record growth this year from North America (+13.6% for the three-month period); and from our long-haul markets (+24.5%) – with Australia and New Zealand (+22.5%) in particular driving that growth. It is also really encouraging to see good growth in visitors from Great Britain for the summer months (+9%). Mainland Europe is also playing its part in growing tourism business from overseas this year, with good increases in particular from markets like Germany (+6.8%), Spain (+7.1%), the Nordic countries (12.7%) and Benelux (+11.7%).
“We have a really extensive programme in place between now and the end of the year, targeting late-season travellers around the world, to keep this momentum going. And the outlook for 2014 is also positive – with a major Aer Lingus expansion on transatlantic services next year, which will include new, year-round flights from San Francisco and Toronto; as well as the new Ryanair flights to Shannon from next April from France and Germany, just announced yesterday. We look forward to maximising the promotion of these new flights to continue to grow overseas tourism to Ireland.”
Further media information:
Sinéad Grace, Tourism Ireland
Tel: 087-685 9027
Notes to Editors:
• Tourism Ireland is the organisation responsible for promoting the island of Ireland overseas as a leading holiday destination.
• Tourism is the island of Ireland’s largest indigenous industry; responsible for in excess of 4% of GNP in the Republic of Ireland and employing approximately 200,000 people.
• In 2012, 7.4 million overseas visitors came to the island of Ireland, delivering revenue of approximately €3.51 billion. Overseas tourism business accounts for 59% of all tourism revenue.
• Tourism Ireland’s international website is www.ireland.com, currently rolling out in 11 different language versions for over 30 individual markets around the world.
• ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ is Ireland’s biggest ever tourism initiative, consisting of a year-long programme of festivals, events and gatherings in every part of the country; Tourism Ireland has had an extensive programme of promotions under way to highlight ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ around the world, working closely with the ‘Gathering’ project team.