Tourism Ireland took the top award for Market Research at the recent All Ireland Marketing (AIM) awards, organised by the Marketing Institute of Ireland, beating off strong competition in the same category from the likes of eircom, Kerry Foods, RTÉ Television and Bewleys.
The award was presented for GB Path to Growth, a strategy developed in conjunction with Fáilte Ireland, the Northern Ireland Tourist Board, the Irish Tourist Industry Confederation and other industry partners during 2012 to revitalise our tourism performance in the British market. Accepting the award, Peter Nash, Tourism Ireland’s head of strategy, development and insights, said: “With the pace of economic recovery and weak consumer confidence continuing to impact on outbound travel in Great Britain, we faced a number of challenges – so a deeper and sharper understanding of the market was clearly required. The 360° research approach resulted in a complete review of our marketing strategy and the identifying of new, best prospect consumer segments. Now the plan is to grow British holidaymakers to the island of Ireland by +20% i.e. an additional 200,000 holiday visitors per year by 2016.”
The All Ireland Marketing awards are organised by the Marketing Institute of Ireland; they recognise marketing excellence and the success of Irish companies and marketing professionals (www.aimawards.ie).
Further media information:
Sinéad Grace, Tourism Ireland
Tel: 087-685 9027
Notes to Editors:
• Tourism Ireland is the organisation responsible for promoting the island of Ireland overseas as a leading holiday destination.
• Tourism is the island of Ireland’s largest indigenous industry; responsible for in excess of 4% of GNP in the Republic of Ireland and employing approximately 200,000 people.
• In 2012, an estimated 7.27 million overseas visitors came to the island of Ireland, delivering revenue of approximately €3.51 billion. Overseas tourism business accounts for 59% of all tourism revenue.
• Tourism Ireland’s international website is www.ireland.com, currently rolling out in 11 different language versions for over 30 individual markets around the world.
• ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ is Ireland’s biggest ever tourism initiative, consisting of a year-long programme of festivals, events and gatherings in every part of the country; Tourism Ireland has an extensive programme of promotions under way to highlight ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ around the world, working closely with the ‘Gathering’ project team.