Senior managers of Tourism Ireland were in Cork today – meeting with some of the key players working in the tourism industry in Cork city and county. They discussed the 2013 season to date and the extensive promotional programme which Tourism Ireland has in place to highlight Cork and the island of Ireland around the world this year.
Simon Gregory, Tourism Ireland’s director of markets, said: “We are delighted to be in Cork again today, to have the chance to meet with representatives of the tourism industry and to hear directly how their businesses are doing this year. Our meetings will also afford us the opportunity to discuss the extensive promotional programme which Tourism Ireland is undertaking this year across the globe. We have a major focus on The Gathering, which is a fantastic ‘hook’ for us to highlight Ireland. We are extending an invitation to the millions of people everywhere who have ancestral links with Ireland to ‘come home’ this year; our message is that there has never been a better year to visit.”
Simon Gregory, Tourism Ireland; Hazel Allen, Ballymaloe House; Josephine O"Driscoll, Fáilte Ireland; and Michael Magner, Fitzgerald’s Vienna Woods Hotel.
Further media information:
Sinéad Grace, Tourism Ireland
Tel: 087-685 9027
Notes to Editors:
• Tourism Ireland is the organisation responsible for promoting the island of Ireland overseas as a leading holiday destination.
• Tourism is the island of Ireland’s largest indigenous industry; responsible for in excess of 4% of GNP in the Republic of Ireland and employing approximately 200,000 people.
• In 2012, an estimated 7.27 million overseas visitors came to the island of Ireland, delivering revenue of approximately €3.51 billion. Overseas tourism business accounts for 59% of all tourism revenue.
• Tourism Ireland’s international website is www.ireland.com, currently rolling out in 11 different language versions for over 30 individual markets around the world.
• ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ is Ireland’s biggest ever tourism initiative, consisting of a year-long programme of festivals, events and gatherings in every part of the country; Tourism Ireland has an extensive programme of promotions under way to highlight ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ around the world, working closely with the ‘Gathering’ project team.