Thirty tourism enterprises from around the island of Ireland travelled to Las Vegas to join Tourism Ireland for this year’s IMEX America.
Now in its third year, IMEX (International Meetings and Events Exhibition) America is an important event to reach key decision-makers working in the meetings and events industry from across the United States. Almost 2,700 buyers from North America, and elsewhere around the world, attended the three-day show – which provided valuable networking and business opportunities for the participating Irish tourism operators. It was also a fantastic opportunity for Tourism Ireland to introduce the Wild Atlantic Way to the influential business tourism buyers attending the show.
Alison Metcalfe, Tourism Ireland’s head of North America, said that there was very good interest in the island of Ireland as a conference and incentive destination at this year’s IMEX America. She said: “IMEX America is an important platform for Tourism Ireland and our partners to showcase the world-class conference, meetings and incentive facilities on offer right around the island of Ireland. Overall, business sentiment at the show was very positive, with interest in Ireland for conferences and incentive travel remaining high and advance business for 2014 looking good.
“Tourism Ireland’s presence at IMEX America was also a wonderful opportunity to highlight the Wild Atlantic Way – Ireland’s first long-distance touring route stretching all the way from Donegal to Cork – to the business tourism buyers, as an ideal experience for delegates to enjoy on the sidelines of their conference or meeting in Ireland.”
Business tourism is the most lucrative form of tourism, with visitors travelling here for business purposes spending about 2.5 times more than the average visitor.
Pat Crowley, Odyssey International; Nancy Tepper, Tepper Incentive & Meeting Service (California); and Gillian Griffin, Adare Manor, on the Tourism Ireland stand at IMEX America in Las Vegas.
Further media information:
Brian Swift, Tourism Ireland
Tel: 01-476 3425
Notes to Editors:
• Tourism Ireland is the organisation responsible for promoting the island of Ireland overseas as a leading holiday destination.
• Tourism is the island of Ireland’s largest indigenous industry; responsible for in excess of 4% of GNP in the Republic of Ireland and employing approximately 200,000 people.
• In 2012, 7.4 million overseas visitors came to the island of Ireland, delivering revenue of approximately €3.51 billion. Overseas tourism business accounts for 59% of all tourism revenue.
• Tourism Ireland’s international website is www.ireland.com, currently rolling out in 11 different language versions for over 30 individual markets around the world.
• The Gathering Ireland 2013 is Ireland’s biggest ever tourism initiative, consisting of a year-long programme of festivals, events and gatherings in every part of the country; Tourism Ireland has had an extensive programme of promotions under way to highlight The Gathering Ireland 2013 around the world, working closely with the ‘Gathering’ project team.